Developing Parsimonious Models of Water Flow and Nutrient Transport Across Scales
How complex do we need models to be? How do water and solute signals generated in hillslopes get modified through the river network? And finally, how do humans modify these signals?
Answering these questions helps in the development of parsimonious, minimum calibration models of water flow, nutrient and pesticide transport across scales. Specifically, we are developing reactive travel time based models at the field and the stream network scale.
Modelling Subsurface Drainage in Agricultural Landscapes
How has artificial subsurface drainage changed surface and subsurface water storage, residence times, peak flows, and nutrient transport – from the field to the catchment scale? We have coupled the field-scale model DRAINMOD with a routing algorithm to understand catchment scale impacts of tile drainage. Current work involves understanding how nutrient transport is impacted at the catchment scale due to tile drainage.
- Botter, G., Basu, N. B., Zanardo, S., ..& Rinaldo, A. (2010). Stochastic modeling of nutrient losses in streams: Interactions of climatic, hydrologic, and biogeochemical controls. Wat. Resour. Res., 46(8), http://doi.org/10.1029/2009WR008758
- Basu, N. B., Rao, P. S. C., Thompson, S. E., Loukinova, N. V., Donner, S. D., Ye, S., & Sivapalan, M. (2011). Spatiotemporal averaging of in-stream solute removal dynamics. Water Resources Research, 47(10), n/a–n/a. http://doi.org/10.1029/2010WR010196
- Basu, N. B., Rao, P. S. C., Winzeler, H. E., Kumar, S., Owens, P., & Merwade, V. (2010). Parsimonious modeling of hydrologic responses in engineered watersheds: Structural heterogeneity versus functional homogeneity. Water Resources Research, 46(4). http://doi.org/10.1029/2009WR007803
- Ye, S., Covino, T. P., Sivapalan, M., Basu, N. B., Li, H.-Y., & Wang, S.-W. (2012). Dissolved nutrient retention dynamics in river networks: A modeling investigation of transient flows and scale effects. Water Resources Research, 48. http://doi.org/10.1029/2011WR010508
- Sloan, B. P., Basu, N. B., & Mantilla, R. (2016). Hydrologic impacts of subsurface drainage at the field scale: Climate, landscape and anthropogenic controls. Agricultural Water Management, 165, 1–10. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2015.10.008
- Boland-Brien, S. J., Basu, N. B., & Schilling, K. E. (2014). Homogenization of spatial patterns of hydrologic response in artificially drained agricultural catchments. Hydrological Processes, 28(19), 5010–5020. http://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.9967